Sunday, November 28, 2010

Liberation...

The feeling of no Facebook and a newly cleaned out contacts list on my phone is like a massive brick lifted off of my back!
Seriously though, this whole Sunday, I have almost floated through life.
What is it about Facebook that gives me that heavy feeling?
It's the fact that my real life wasn't getting lived I think.
It's ridiculous really, you can talk to someone online about doing things in the "real world" ...and nothing ever happens...
When did we start living in this alternate reality?
What does that say for our world...that some of us become "facebook friends" with people who you would generally never be friends with.
What sort of relationships are we building?
Not to mention that those relationships that were ended for a reason (old boyfriends, best friends, etc.) are now renewed through the glorious world wide web.
They were ended for a reason. Cyber stalking them is not serving any purpose except to prolong old wounds from healing.
I have personally never seen any good come of renewed relationships on facebook.

Now, having said all of this. I had a moment today where my heart hurt because of the lack of facebook.
Here's how it went...yesterday afternoon I posted on my Uncle Steve's wall for his birthday. My Uncle Steve lives in Southern England and honestly, facebook was the only connection that we had. Tonight my mother informed me that he had sent her a message telling her to tell me thank you.
Now, remember how I got out of that world to eliminate the round about way of communicating?
It seems that now I've created a new problem for myself.
Facebook was the only connection that I had to my family in England.
Now what am I supposed to do?
I love my family over there and I miss them and it was kind of nice having that connection!
So, it makes me wonder, what if I only had facebook for super close friends and my family?
And I never made status updates?
Or posted pictures?

...but then doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of the social networking site that we all love to hate?

Maybe I should just get back on to let them know that they can follow my blog?
I do love my blog after all.

Life is rough.

On a happier note, with my newly found free time today I found that I had time to study somethings that I had been thinking about for a while.
I also went sledding with my sister and brother.
And I went to scripture study.

I had TIME.

It's weird that I seemed to have more time today than other days.
You know what the difference was?
I didn't spend all day on the computer.

I hadn't really realized just how addicting this great machine could be, until I watched as it slowly took over the lives of my family members.
We can't seem to function without it.
Really though.
How sad is that?

There's an entire world out there for the taking and we, as a society, let it pass by as we keep up to date, minute to minute through technology.

I'm begining to believe that technology is a double edged sword.

Finally, I want to once again publicly pay tribute to possibly my favorite artist of all time, Mr. Michael Franti.
No one else's music speaks so directly to my soul while letting me groove so easily.
Thank you for shedding your light on this world through your music.
No one else lifts my soul in the same way.
Not to mention that he's an activist and an all around inspiring person.
Seriously though, check him out.
You'll be in love too.

http://michaelfranti.com/

Cheers
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment