Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lonboarding is the Love of my Life...


Well, well, well, it's been a long couple of days haha
I thought that cutting up my leg was the worst of the longboarding injuries.
I was wrong.
Jade and I went longboard window shopping and, wouldn't you know it, we walked away with two brand new longboards! Oh man, don't you just hate it when that happens? Me too.

So, of course, we couldn't wait to try those babies out!! So we did what anyone would have done. We took them down Provo Canyon :)
The first run was super great.
The second run, not so much. I may or may not have fallen. Don't worry though, my face broke the fall. Oh man, oh man, so we went to the ER in Provo and it turns out I have a concusion as well as a super nasty black eye. Hell yeah. Haha that on top of all of the other longboarding injuries make me look pretty legit!

The sucky part here? Oh yeah, that I spent money (that I probably didn't have in the first place) on a longboard, then I got slapped with the ER visit costs AND I have missed 2 1/2 days of work because of it.
I think this is one of those "learning curve" experiences that you always hear about.
I've only been off of my board for a day and a half and I'm already itching to get back onto it...much to my mothers dismay.
I just LOVE longboarding!

Granted, I should have probably been wearing a helmet. The ironic part here? That before we even went on our first run down the canyon I even said, "Hey guys, we should probably wear helmets like those guys!" Ugh. Point taken.
The doctors and nurses in the hospital were very vocal about how everyone should never longboard. Yeah...right... (they were talking about it right outside of my curtain 'A longboarding accident...' 'Wasn't wearing a helmet..' Thanks guys, I GET IT.)

Then there were the more reasonable ones who, instead of suggesting that I burn my longboards, simply told me to wear a helmet. Then, when they could see that they weren't getting through to me, told me horror stories about people dying or becoming quadriplegics. Yeah, I don't really like either of those options. So my solution?
I'm going to wear a helmet!!!

...it's weird really that my longboarding hat didn't break the fall....
You may be asking yourself right about now if ANYTHING good has come of my longboarding love affair.
Yes.
What?
Let me tell you.
First, WEAR A HELMET. Not only do I look ridiculous, but my entire face is sore and I have a headache like you would not believe.
Second, don't wear shorts when longboarding. That's how my leg ended up looking slightly bloody.
Third, when going slowly, beware of large cracks. Your wheels WILL catch on them, and your board will stop without you. Hence, the road burn on my elbow.

Fourth, when longboarding at night, either use a light or don't, don't use it every now and then. Your eyes won't adjust fast enough and sometimes that leads to minor crashes.
Fifth, when you see a fellow longboarder eat it, don't laugh. The karma gods don't like it much and it will come back to bite you in the butt, sometimes quite literally.
And finally,
Fifth (and most important) I have learned that longboarding can be compared to life. It's an awesome ride, and most of the time, it's super fun, even when it's a bit scary. Then there are the times when you wipe out. And it hurts. But you get up, you dust yourself off, you laugh at how embarassing that was, and you hop back on and continue because the ride is far too great to miss out on.
HAHAHAHA HECK YES I just finished that blog with that super cheesy life analogy! HA! Take that concussion, you may be able to make my head hurt and my eye swell shut, but I'm still super funny! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment