Sunday, December 12, 2010

Where Is My Happiness....?

I had a nice chat with a very wise man today.
We talked about my life.
Not something I really enjoy discussing these days. But he wanted to know. So I told him. I thought that would teach him to be nice and thoughtful.
He asked me a question and there was such a lead up to it that I thought he was going to ask me the meaning of life or something.
It was worse.
He asked me what made me really, truly happy and how I was going to make the rest of my life completely happy.
Ugh.
I do not know.
I honestly have no idea.
I know what makes me happy right now; longboarding, painting, reading, going to movies with my family and roadtrips.
But how I thought my life was going to go has been shaken so drastically that I don't even know where I want to be in 6 months, let alone later in life!!
He asked what I wanted out of life.
No clue.
I don't want to get married. I don't want a conventional life. But being a member of the church if you don't get married then you're missing out on a big part of this life experience (a partner and kids) and that's not something that I know if I'm willing to sacrifice.
I don't want to be a worldly person. That means that Idon't want to be a doctor, lawyer or accountant. But how am I supposed to make a life for myself without focusing on worldly things?
I don't know what's going to make me happy down the road. I don't even know what's going to make me happy tomorrow.
But this very wise man did make me realize that wherever I find my happiness, I'm going to need to work to make it happen. My life plan was to see where the winds took me, but I'm starting to see how I can't completely rely on the winds, I'm going to have to do a little rowing of my own...

No comments:

Post a Comment