Thursday, December 9, 2010

Soul Pancake...

I know that I mentioned this great book by Rainn Wilson, SoulPancake, in my last post, but I'm going to go ahead and mention it again. (And honestly, probably again a couple other times after this.)
I've been trying to find an appropriate way to describe this book to someone who has never seen it before, and I don't really have a good way to do it yet.
One word?
AMAZING!
"Soulpancake is a movement to chew on life's big questions. It's a space to tackle art, philosophy, creativity and spirituality, and ulitmately, soulpancake is about you-the thinkers, artists, poets, and misfits who seek to stamp out stigmas, shake up truths, and redefine what it means to be human." -Soulpancake intro-
Ok, so in this book each page is devoted to one of life's big questions and it includes
-questions that tackle what it means to be human
-mind blowing art from around the world
-odd facts and quirky stats
-quotes from a bunch of smart people (dead and alive)
-a handful of related questions
= your brain brewing
Haha I also took that from the book's description.
I know that it doesn't sound all that interesting, but I swear it's amazing! My sister is reading the book too (which, if you know her, tells you something...).
There are pages devoted to
Why do we hate?
What's one lie you're glad you told?
What emotion do you wish you could better control?
What drains your sould? What recharges it?
How has your sense of right and wrong evolved?
How literally should we interprerate religious texts?
There's so many great things in this book!!
Honestly, just read it.
Or at least check out the website.
There was this suggestion about keeping your creativity alive called Blackout Poetry and it essentially says that you get a page of text from somewhere, anywhere and create poetry by blacking out all of the words that you dont' want to use...I don't know if that really makes sense, so I included a picture :)
I will just finish this post by saying that as I read this book and made my brain really work today I was super happy. I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment