Sunday, December 8, 2013

Ok Now He Was Close, Tried To Domesticate You...

...but what about when that really happens, when you become domestic?

I've recently discovered that I'm in love with Sex and the City (guys, it's totally fine that I'm a solid decade behind being "hip"). For those of you who aren't super familiar with the show's concept, Carrie is a columnist for a newspaper and she writes about sex and relationships. There is a quote from that show that I have loved for years, and that I considered my dating mantra if you will:

"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed, maybe they were meant to run free until they find someone to run free with them."

It worked for me. I was awesome at not committing and "running wild."

The problem with all of that is that I found guys that were really good at that as well. We were perfect for each other at the time, just "keeping it casual" and "nothing serious." Those relationships were fun, and they produced some great memories, but they didn't have any staying power. I thought I was ok with that, probably because I just didn't know any better at the time. 

Then, a cocky marine came up to me at a bar on a girls night...

I'd love to say that the rest is history and that it's been a happy ending ever since...but that's not how it has gone at all. It's been crazy, insane, right out of a Hollywood blockbuster to be honest with you. But there has just been something about us that's been bizarre (in a totally good way) and just really familiar. We met at probably the worst possible time in his life-there was a hell of a lot going on there that needed to be taken care of, but when you care about someone I've found out that you're willing to forgive and to wait for them to get to the place that they want to be for you.

I guess this is my way of telling the world that my game plan is to move to Florida here in the next couple of months. Is it controversial to those who know me? Yeah. Is everyone in my circle super happy about the idea? No. Are they doing their best to be respectful and supportive? They're trying. I think Eleanor Roosevelt put it nicely when she said, "Do what you feel in your heart to be right-for you'll be criticized anyways." When it comes down to it, for the first time in my life my heart and my gut are both on the same page. 

Along with this move comes the realization that my life is about to become a whole lot more "domestic" than it has ever been. This took me a minute or two to become comfortable with, but now I'm really excited. I'm excited to be that girl that cooks dinners at night, and who decorates her house for the seasons. I'm over the idea of going to bars and meeting random guys who just bring a whole lot of drama to the table. For the first time in my life, I have a better option, one that I really love.

So, I've adopted a new mantra for my life, because that's what growing up is, it's adjusting to what works for you at different points in your life,



AROHA

2 comments: