Thursday, December 19, 2013

Links, links, links...

Shut up guys, remember this post from February 2012? (You probably don't, and even though it wasn't an epic blog post, it was something that I was very passionate about.) It was clearly a premonition on my part. 

(The following is a brief inner workings of my mind tour.)

Yesterday I was feeling really blah. I'm over waiting for things to happen. Waiting for Christmas. Waiting for Florida. Waiting for everything *said in an overly dramatic tone*. Then my sister brought the moon water inside from the night before. (Moon water 101 link) which got me started thinking about how out of balance I am right now. That thought process led me to remember when I was little and discovered this guy on Reading Rainbow. It was then that I knew I had a past life. That thought process led me to discover this book that I have been reading/taking to heart. It talks about how we all need to live in harmony with nature and our environment in order to grow and be at peace in life. Then I watched a documentary called Kingdom of the Blue Whale tonight on National Geographic Wild and that brought me back to my post from almost two years ago. 

At the time that I wrote that post, I would take the book Oceana to work at the bank and leave it open on the counter next to me so that I could read it in between clients-I was obsessed. I wanted so badly to hop on the "ocean conservation" bandwagon and move to the coast to make a difference. The major problem that I ran into at the time was that I was living in Utah. Utah just happens to be a landlocked state...but now I am going to be living right on the coast. Granted it isn't the coast that I was hoping for, I was thinking more along the lines of California, but it's the coast of the ocean.


^This^ is the organization that sparked my interest in ocean conservation. (I saw Ted Danson talk about this on the Ellen show, so really I have Ellen to thank for all good things in my life, that's why I think that she should be our next president..side note.) Before I read this book I found the ocean completely terrifying. I was that girl that didn't live anywhere near the ocean but had legitimate nightmares when she was younger about sharks. I just don't really love the fact that there are parts (ok, most) of the ocean that I can't see from my vantage point on the surface. There is no way to know what is stalking you from down there. No bueno. Then I read this book and had an "a ha" moment realizing that there is a bit more to the ocean ecosystem than sharks and whales. There's actually quite a bit going on down there. 

Skip ahead a year and a half and I found myself a guy whose family pretty much lives on the ocean in Florida. I don't mean that they sometimes visit the beach and splash around. I mean that he works on boats at the marina where they fish for things-not lake things like in Utah-but ocean things, like rays and stuff when they have down time. I mean that for fun outings they go out in a boat shark fishing, who does that? The people that I'm going to be spending a lot of time with for the next little while is who. 

It's funny how the universe sets us on paths that we don't understand at the time, but prepare us for the future isn't it?  

To wrap this entire post up, I am so excited to be able to spend more time getting to know the ocean and all of the crazy a*% stuff that's floating around down there!! I'm about to take the term "animal lover" to a whole new extreme. 

(The bf already told me that we could not in fact keep the small shark that he caught the other day in our bathtub. We'll see how long he can hold his ground...) 

I imagine that this is a routine sight when you live on the coast.
Those dolphins better not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment