Monday, December 16, 2013

A Very Merry Christmas...

This entire last year has been one of complete chaos. It's been absolute madness. Since January 1st, it just hasn't seemed to stop or slow down enough to even appreciate all of the good things that have been happening in among the insanity. Everything has been in such disarray across the board with my people! There have been new boyfriends/girlfriends, new babies, breakups, houses, sicknesses, new jobs, you name it, it's happened in 2013.
Seeing how everything else this year has been flying past, I was concerned that this holiday season was going to fly by without my being able to enjoy it. It has flown by really quickly, but by some Christmas miracle, it's also been one of the most fantastic holiday seasons that I can remember. I don't know whether it's the knowledge that this may be the last Christmas for a while that the whole family is together or what, but I've had more moments of calm and love in the last month than I have in the entire year combined. 
I've had just these moments where time seems to slow down and I can just take in the moment-I can't think of a time that I've needed that more. It started with a brilliant Thanksgiving filled with good people, good food and good wine. It truly topped my "best Thanksgiving ever" list. It's carried over to a December full of my nearest and dearest people, which has been the thing that I have wanted the very most since deciding that January would be the month of the big cross country move. I've been very blessed that everything has sort of fallen into place, giving me the opportunity to have the most time possible with those that I hold dearest before there are many miles between us (with the exception of one very special person, but I figure he's the reason that I'm going to be missing everyone back here-he can give me one month of enjoying everyone else!). 
One of the things that I've found the most calming is that from twenty four years worth of forming relationships with people in this area, the ones that I have naturally been spending all of my time with for the last month are the ones that are closest to my heart (those people from a few weeks ago, my soul mates). That's not to say that there aren't a whole bunch of people that I will miss at different times, but I've really enjoyed being a homebody and sticking close to my core people. I haven't been going out to big parties, or getting dressed up for dinners in the city-I've been bundled up at home as the snow has been flying, or venturing out for sodas at Arby's while wearing sweats. It's been phenomenal.
It's given me time to come to terms with things that I will be leaving behind (the mountains, Cafe Rio dressing, In-n-Out grilled cheese sandwiches, the view from the back door, even the snow), and to really enjoy them while I still can. I can't even tell you how many times I've caught myself daydreaming as I enjoy the beauty that Utah has to offer. It's also reminded me how nice being calm and peaceful is. New things are exciting, and I do love a good adventure, but I am so excited to get back to some sense of normality once I get to Florida. 
But in the meantime, there is nowhere that I would rather be than here in this winter wonderland that I will always call home, surrounded by my most treasured friends and family. I hope that everyone is having a very very merry Christmas like I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment