Saturday, February 19, 2011

Taking Responsibility...

Well, trucking is going great as always. I went to Phoenix again this week, and just as it seemed I was destined to spend the rest of my life in that city, we got plans to go to southern California again tomorrow! I do love California! What happened on this trip that was noteworthy? Well, I heard my first "commercial girl" (aka hooker) looking for clients on the CB radio. Disgusting? Yes. True? Very. I saw a herd of elk which was kind of cool, I saw a gold eagle and a bald eagle in real life which was very cool, I saw a Muslim praying at a truck stop (we're talking full on out of the truck kneeling to the side bowing to the ground praying) which made me feel slightly ambitious on the religious topic so I bought a Bible crossword puzzle book and realized that I'm a terrible Christian because I literally knew 3 answers. Awesome.

What am I loving these days on the road? Grilled cheese sandwiches (at any time, any place), spinach (plain or in a salad), crows taking off (they're so cute how they hop a couple times and then sort of launch themselves into the air), flocks of birds (how they know what all the rest of the birds around them are going to do is amazing to me), sunrises (this one is on here because I've seen more sunrises in the past 3 weeks than in the entire rest of my life combined, it turns out they're rather nice...), red rocks (this one never really goes away), cactus's (there's actually a real beauty to them) and those Jim Bridger billboards all around Salt Lake (I love the awareness they're promoting).

The theme for the week? Taking responsibility for myself. My dad's been giving me a hard time because I'm always making him pick up trash that he throws away but bounces back out and making him buy the more environmentally conscious bottles, but you know what? I think when it all comes down to it, taking responsibility for ourselves and our role on this planet is going to be a big black mark for a lot of people. How often do I walk by garbage on the ground instead of taking the 2 seconds required to pick it up and throw it away? How often to I mindlessly buy the most readily available things instead of the most ecologically responsible ones? How often do I care about a cause, but not enough to actually do something about it? Well, as I have been thinking about these things, I've also been formulating plans...more to come on that one.

I got a wonderful surprise when I got home today, Sheri Echols had taken time out of her busy life to make me a beautiful Traveling Journal (she honestly got her craftsy side on because it was amazing) and bring me a pez dispenser semi truck. How cool is that?? I also have realized just how important good friends are. I got to hang out with my friend Lindsay as she colored my hair today and it truly was just a great time being with someone that I genuinely enjoy hanging out with! I got to have lunch with Jillian and Morgan the other day as well and I am so grateful for the fact that even after all of these years the 3 of us are still friends. I caught up with Vanesa, even though she's so far away it's like not a day has passed since she left! All of the plans that Jamie Parry and I make that never happen, are beside the point because the fact is that we like each other enough to even try making them in the first place. And of course I couldn't live without the update phone calls I get from Jade, how else would I know what was going on back here at home? To wrap this little paragraph up, I am really grateful for the amazing girlfriends that I have in my life :)

Anyways, I'm still having a great time being on the road and getting to see the country :)

Aroha

No comments:

Post a Comment