Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Trucking Adventures So Far...

The rumors are true. I'm in love.

With being on the road and my life!! Oh man, so it's only been a week and a half that I've been out on the road, but I already feel like I've learned so much and that I've grown leaps and bounds!

Let's start with things that I've learned on the road that may have practical application for anyone else in the world.
*Don't drink soda while driving on the freeways in southern California. I don't know exactly where their tax dollars go, but it sure isn't into making their roads smooth for the people and their soda drinking experience.
*Just because a city is farther south than Salt Lake doesn't automatically mean that it's warmer. Take Albuquerque for example. Probably colder than Salt Lake.
*The happiest cows really DO come from California!
*Winter is not really fun in Colorado. It's really cold. It's also really snowy.
*Mango's taste better the farther west you go, even if they are being sold in a truck stop.
*Mountain goats are real creatures who really live in the Rocky Mountains and they really are as big as deer.
*When you're in a small stop in a small town and there is only one blond girl running around that place, talking about "Blondie" isn't fooling anyone on the CB radio. I'm not stupid. I can hear you.

Now, what have I learned about life? It's the simple things in life that make it worth living. An example? Exploring all of the different techniques for "flashing" (not that kind of flashing, the kind you do with your blinkers when someone lets you pass) to say thank you. You'd be surprised how many ways there are.
Also, common courtesy is almost dead, it's true, however I still have hope for the human race. Holding open doors isn't uncool and smiling isn't a lost art. Really people, together we can make this world a little bit happier.

Sometimes when we're hanging out for hours on end (like when you're stuck in a Colorado style blizzard) watching movies, and I find myself enjoying what I'm doing...or not doing...I start questioning if I'm doing the right thing being out there. Then, inspiration hits...through Cameron Diaz. (Who would have ever seen that coming? Beats me. God works in mysterious ways.) There's a quote in a great movie What Happens in Vegas that went straight to my heart. It goes a little something like this...

                     "I'd rather be happy doing nothing, than doing something I don't love."

Oh yeah. You know what? I may have quit every sensible thing that I had going in my life to be sitting in a truck stuck in a po-dunk town watching movies, listening to music and reading all day long and to a whole lot of people out there, that seems like a waste of potential. But you know what? Whatever! I'm not just enjoying my life I'm literally LOVING it! I wake up some mornings in one city not knowing where I'm going to end up by dinner.
How AWESOME is that?? How many people can say that? If I were (God forbid) to die tomorrow I can honestly say that I don't feel like I would have missed out on anything. Now, that's not to say that there's nothing else I want to do with my life, and I desperately hope that I have lots and lots of years left before I'm taken back home. But if it were to happen, I don't feel like I've let any opportunities pass me by or that I've left any loose ends in my wake. I have taken chances and I've made wagers. Some have worked out beautifully and some have been disasters, but I've lived. And really, who can ask for more?

Anyways, I'll be sure to keep the blog updated when I'm home, in the meantime (I'm just tossing it out there) everyone should get out there and start living. Yeah it's terrifying throwing caution to the wind, but it is absolutely four hundred percent worth it :)

Love to everyone!

1 comment: