Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Did You REALLY Just Say That...?

What is my favorite animal you ask?
Oh, wolves.
I truly love them.
Unfortunately not everyone in the world feels the same. Weird.

I read an article on MSN the other day about some judges who think that extermination of wolves would be a super idea. Now, nothing in the world gets my blood to boil quite as fast as ANY sort of hunt, let alone one that involves wolves. First, because until very recently they were still on the endangered species list. Well, now that they're off, problem solved, let's see just how quick we can get 'em back there, eh? And second, well, I just love them.

Some of these new laws would allow (absolutely not joking) burrying cubs in their dens and gasing them. Honest to goodness. And it would allow for aerial hunts.
Remember how I don't agree with hunting at all? Well, I agree even less with aerial hunting. If you're going to be a real man and hunt then you sure better do it at a more even level than chasing some poor animal down in a plane. You already have the upper hand with having a gun. Be happy you have that. Matched up against those animals otherwise, you'd be screwed.

What is the main factor for the desire for the hunt? Wolves are eating cattle. First things first, statistics show that more cattle are killed by Coyote, Mountain Lion and even DOGS than by wolves. And second of all, I don't know about you, but having grown up in the west, I kind of knew that wolves were sort of part of the deal. I could have told you this in Junior High. Now, here are these ranchers (grown men mind you) who bought land out here in the west and are saying that wolves are a problem? No. That's not how this goes.

There is a ranch in Montana that lost (I think it was 6) calves this last year to a pack of wolves up there. The solution? Kill all but 2 of the pack (as of earlier this week) and hunt down the others. This was around $2,500 worth of cattle. Is that really what a pack of wolves is going for these days?

I was looking more into the history of the wolf hunt and found this quote from probably one of the most gifted public speakers any state in this union has ever had...good old Wally Hickel, once the governer of Alaska. In response to allowing the hunting of wolves the man said (again, not joking)

"You can't just let nature run wild."

Oh man. I hope he was embarassed.
It was said years ago and I'm STILL embarassed for him.

As I was researching how legit this statement was (which I found it IS an actual quote from this guy) I found a couple other gems that were good for a laugh and thougt I'd share them...

"There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes." Saskatoon Restaurant

"Music hath the charm to sooth a savage beast, but I'd try a revolver first." Josh Billings

Now, I was on the verge before all of this information and super great (not to mention deep, insightful, thoght provoking...ugh) quotes came into my life of going vegetarian. But this absolutely sent me over the edge. That's it. I'm done with meat for a while. I feel bad about eating it anyways, and it's not like it's my favorite food in the world anyways, so it's really no huge sacrifice to give up anyways! Call it my way of protesting against those cattle ranchers in Montana :) Ha! Take that guys!

In the end though, as dumb as I may think you sound, I think good old Voltaire put it best when he said,

"I may disagree with everything you say, but will defend unto death your right to say it."

No comments:

Post a Comment